now

Alice Cooper; ‘My life is dedicated to follow Christ’

Alice Cooper says he loves God but doesn’t want to become a ‘celebrity’ believer.

The father of shock rock whose music and stage antics have outraged parents for more than 30 years told how the fear of hell turned him to God.

Alice Cooper, who sang about necrophilia and chopped up baby dolls during his concerts, said that although he continues to record and tour with a theatrical horror-style show, “My life is dedicated to follow Christ.”

Although he became a Christian in the 1980s, apart from brief comments in some interviews the 66-year-old singer has always been guarded about his faith – until now. But in a frank interview with a Christian music magazine, he spoke at length publicly for the first time about his love for God and reluctance to become a “Christian celebrity.”

A chart-topper with the teen anthem “School’s Out,” Cooper – who legally changed his name from Vince Furnier – has been credited with paving the way for performers such as Marilyn Manson.

But he maintains that his act was never political or religious and always had “a sense of humor.” He told HM: The Hard Music Magazine that he was always insulted whenever he was accused of being satanic. Raised in a Christian home, he still believed in God, although he was not committed.

That changed when alcoholism threatened his marriage. He and his wife, Sheryl, attended a church with a “hellfire pastor.” Cooper said he became a Christian “initially more out of the fear of God, rather than the love of God … I did not want to go to hell.” Interviewed for HM’s March/April issue, Cooper views his faith as “an ongoing thing.”

“Being a Christian is something you just progress in. You learn. You go to your Bible studies. You pray,” he said.

He has avoided “celebrity Christianity,” because “it’s really easy to focus on Alice Cooper and not on Christ. I’m a rock singer. I’m nothing more than that. I’m not a philosopher. I consider myself low on the totem pole of knowledgeable Christians. So, don’t look for answers from me.”

Yet he has been able to speak to others in the music scene about his faith.

“I’ve had a couple of people that were friends of mine that I’ve talked to that have vocally said they have [accepted Christ]. I have talked to some big stars about this, some really horrific characters … and you’d be surprised. The ones that you would think are the furthest gone are the ones that are more apt to listen.”

Songs on Cooper’s more recent recordings have hinted at his change of heart. He sees his stage persona now as “the prophet of doom,” telling people: “‘Be careful! Satan is not a myth. Don’t sit around pretending like Satan is just a joke.’ I think my job is to warn about Satan.”

He no longer performs some of his older repertoire. Any song promoting promiscuous sex and drinking “gets the axe,” he said. “I’m very careful about what the lyrics are. I tried to write songs that were equally as good, only with a better message.”

Cooper told HM he answers his critics: “‘I was one thing at one time, and I’m something new. I’m a new creature now. Don’t judge Alice by what he used to be. Praise God for what I am now.’”

Original Story on WND

44 comments

• 2 days ago

Awesome!

• Randy 14 hours ago

I have been a die hard Alice Cooper fan since the late 60’s, he was my obsession as a child, and wanted nothing to do except meet him ( which I got the chance to finally do). While I am an agnostic, and do not share the same view that Alice does, I still love the guy for his honesty and charity to those less well off than him. He talks about his faith, but he dont shove it down others throats and I respect him for that.

• Timothy 2 days ago

I’m a Christian, and I know that Alice Cooper is a great person. What he sang and did was just for show and ratings. Rock on. ..

• david 2 days ago

If you don’t want to be a celebrity christian then you ain’t a christian he blessed you with a platform and you neglect him in public.

• dan 2 days ago

Jayson by the comment you said about this singer strongly suggest that as Jesus told the religious leaders of his time that the prostitutes and tax collectors would get to heaven before them.be carefully what you say to other believers. It’s not what goes into the mouth that defile a man but what proceed from his mouth.

• Raejean French 2 days ago

I don’t appreciate performing celebrities (musicians in this case) using their conditional public platform to discuss personal views about religion or politics, unless for example they are a performer of Christian music or political satire/commentary to begin with. It’s also another matter if Cooper wants to stage a revival. Audiences do not pay entertainers to be lectured or sermonized, and a performer who does this also defrauds and misleads the audience. I respect him and send him my blessings for his discretion and good taste in this matter.

• MikeD 18 hours ago

@David – “If you don’t want to be a celebrity christian then you ain’t a christian he blessed you with a platform and you neglect him in public”

Where is the Biblical verse that defines who is a celebrity Christian and what platforms they should or should not use? It is this “sitting in judgement” response to others level of faith and devotion to our loving Christ and Savior that pushes many away from pursuing a life in Christ. I have seen it for myself. I have allowed judgement of my sinful acts (and, as a Christian, you cannot deny that you don’t have sin or act on them from time to time) to push me away when I should have held on to Him tighter.

• Ozy 13 hours ago

David, give him time. I don’t think his motive not to be a celebrity Christian is to be intentionally private – It may be to avoid having people come to Jesus through emotion because of his celebrity status. If he was trying to avoid sharing his story, this article could not have been written. Maybe in the future, his public proclamation of Jesus will be more “louder”.

• antoinette 9 hours ago

David, don’t fault Mr. Cooper for not being a Celebrity Christian. What he’s doing is what he feels in his heart he needs to do. He’s honest in that he says he’s not someone to come to for advice or leadership in Christianity, but what’s even more generous is that he doesn’t make his faith about him, but about his Lord and that what Christianity is about. One who lives the life is much apt to pass on his faith about his love for Christ than one who talks about it. I give this man kudos for the fact that he doesn’t wear his faith on his sleeve, but has it in his heart and mind and is trying to live it. That speaks volumes.

• Brad 7 hours ago

Perhapse he realizes that due to his celebrity others may place him on an undeserved pedestal. So many use religion as a springboard to greater fame. His admission that he has a great deal to learn says to me that he doesnt want to,lead others astray. Lets be careful,how we judge his motives…the same degree of scrutiny will be used on us!

• Lon Pirkl 2 days ago

I think He means a celebrity that plays being a Christian.

• notthatstupid 2 days ago

I believe Ozzie is heading in that direction also due to his recovery from drugs and alcohol (12 steps). I thought I saw him praying at the end of a story about his sobriety. No one is too far gone that Jesus can’t save.

• Jason 2 days ago

God is looking for holyness separate yourself from the ways of this world. Check this out on u tube ( prepair to meet your God by Angelica it will change your life

• Jason 2 days ago

If you check that out on YouTube email me and give me your comments

• Jeff Cooke 2 days ago

By “celebrity Christian” he means that he doesn’t want to be known as a celebrity who is a Christian, he wants to be a Christian who is also a celebrity. He doesn’t want people to “accept” Christianity just because Alice Cooper (or Vincent Furnier) is a Christian and have a superficial religion. He wants people to know Jesus Christ for Who HE is. Unfortunately, when a celebrity becomes a Christian people in the church use them as a poster child for recruitment and they get out their magnifying glass and expect them to be the “perfect” example. It can derail them (Bob Dylan and Scott Stapp for examples). We don’t need any more “Popes” or other idols, we just need sincere Believers who follow God’s Word as equals.

• Jeff Cooke 20 hours ago

BTW: The world uses the internet, drives cars and drinks water. Better quit!!

• 2 days ago

Christians can still watch gory horror flicks too. Don’t let these things control or define you as a person, and it’s fine.

• Dave Mullbock 2 days ago

If it is fear of Hell that motivated him, then the god he believes in is, in a moral sence, not much different than the devil he is trying to shun. The notion that it is a god of love will sustain your existence throughout all eternity so that you can forever feel indescribable fiery agony is an idea that has no hope of moral or logical reconciliation. It does explain why Christians throughout history have been able to “justify” some pretty heinous acts, however.

• Alberta 2 days ago

He mentioned he “initially” became a Christian out of fear, but that being Christian is something you have to progress in. Regardless of why a person becomes a Christian, prayer and faith can improve you and you learn to be a christian out of love for God and not fear.

• 5venoms 11 hours ago

Hi Dave. The thing I pray that people who feel the way you do will realize is this. God is a great God of Love, patience, and forgiveness. However is also a righteous, holy, perfect God. He is a God of Judegement. The Bible teaches us all of this. Look at it like this. If you do something bad that you’re not supposed to do, growing up, you fear what your parents are going to do. Not because they are going to kill you or crack your skull (if they are good parents of course) but because it is their job to instruct, teach, guide and dicipline you in life.
      Get to know God Dave. Hes great, omnipotent, he loves you, and is your only hope for salvation and happiness.
      much love and peace to you,
      matt harris

• William 2 days ago

good for him. I grew up listening to him

• Jeff Cooke 2 days ago

Coop has been VERY openabout his faith in Christ and those who haven’t been asleep under a rock know it. He had a trilogy of albums that were VERY Christian all the way through. Sorry giys, you didn’t get the scoop on the Coop, but it’s cool that you’re letting those who didn’t know, know. Merry CHRISTmas!

• Sharon 2 days ago

It is always wonderful to know a brother/sister in Christ. To hear him proclaim publicly the name of Christ is more than exciting. Thank you, Alice, for your testimony. I pray the Lord will continue to bless you and work through you. :-D

• Russell Grant Appling 2 days ago

i have fed him with faith of a mustard seed. he showed me a cord in the getuar.

good trade

• Joe Bandmember 2 days ago

Jesus always offers us the way, the truth, and the life.
    Please come to Jesus. He knocks at your door.
    Accept Him into your heart as Lord and Savior.
    There is no other name by which we can be saved.
    Saved from our default destination, Hell.

As a former rock musician, now playing for Christ, it is encouraging to hear this story of salvation.
    We must realize that Satan is very real, and continuously chases us looking for any weakness to capitalize upon.

“On Christ, The Solid Rock, I stand. All other ground is sinking sand”

• Patrick in Michigan 1 day ago

Um, Guys?

That interview is like from 2002 on WMD…

Why report that now?

Old news.

-Patrick

• sean 1 day ago

I know Alice is definitely receive the Holy Spirit, I heard him talking about the song imagine by John Lennon the other day on the radio, and he really nailed it. He said that that’s what is philosophy, as in the endearing as that philosophy is to human nature. ..it’s so much the lie that Satan

• sean 1 day ago

Is promoting these days….this coexist. ..unified brotherhood of man crap….it ain’t gonna happen…Jesus is bringing the sword…not peace to this world

• Gary 15 hours ago

Alice is a great guy, but is Road Manager is a complete jerk, and that is being nice.
    His Road Manager hates Christianity!

• Goat 14 hours ago

This article is bullshit.

• Donna 13 hours ago

Hey, I love your song, the message of Salvation. I would only change one thing – Christ doesn’t pity, He Loves. So where you use pity, try Love instead.
    After all, isn’t that what He’s all about?
    Love the message.
    God Bless you, Mr Cooper.

• John 12 hours ago

THERE ARE NO SECRET CHRISTIANS.
    IF YOU ARE ASHAMED OF JESUS CHRIST, He will not confess that He knows youbefore His Father.

• Lloyd Bonifide 12 hours ago

Apparently Alice isn’t ashamed; he gave an interview–among others– in which he tells of his love for Christ.

• Lloyd Bonifide 12 hours ago

“Now I’m Mr. Nice Guy, now I’m not a queeee-ee-en”

• 11 hours ago

What do ALL of the lyrics in ‘Feed my Frankenstein’ mean?… Just saw him perform it!! And, ‘Only women bleed’?? No very’ Godly ‘at all.. Js

• 11 hours ago

Sure am glad he took the ‘ungodly’ music out! Lol

• Jared McCubbin 10 hours ago

Wow. There are some real nutjobs on here. None of it’s real, people, you’re just talking to yourselves!

• JSBrown303 8 hours ago

Out of curiosity, is he a member of any particular church?
    Anyways, it was very cool to see him perform during the intermission of one of the Nashville Predators games a few years ago with Vince Gill (Yes, the country singer) and Small Time Rock Stars (aka Sixwire).

• Jotce 6 hours ago

This doesn’t really surprise me. Alice Cooper’s father was an Episcopal priest.

• Tim 5 hours ago

It is not our place to judge someones heart. There is nothing more personal than your relationship with Jesus. Only God knows his heart and his choice of how he shares it is between him and his saviour.